Knoll was founded in New York City in 1938 by Hans Knoll where it was then moved to Pennsylvania in 1950. After the death of Hans in 1955, his wife Florence Knoll took over as head of the company. The company has its headquarters in East Greenville, Pennsylvania and has manufacturing sites throughout North America Italy.
The company is still in business today and in 2011, Knoll received the National Design Award for Corporate and Institutional Achievement from the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum. The company has collaborated with many well known designers including: Max Pearson, Eero Saarinen, Peter Shelton, Hans Wegner, Bill Stephens and Jens Risom among many others. Knoll is best well known for the design if the Tulip chair by Eero Saarinen in 1956, the Barcelona chair by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe furniture in 1953, the Wassily chair by Marcel Breuer and the Hardoy Butterfly chair by Jorge Ferrari-Hardoy in 1947.